Tuesday, March 20, 2007

In a spot ! But a bright one, I'd say...

If I say that I was greatly upset with India's loss to Bangladesh, I'll be part of the blue-billion-brigade. If I say, I was a little bit relieved, I would be quartered, hanged and countless unimaginable things done to me, by some of the blue-billion - given what possibilities are being talked about and put out on Woolmer's death. But I was a bit relieved !!

The past month has been bordering on insanity - every other channel - news, views, regional, sports, and anything in between or far-out worth its salt and pursuit of TRPs had a cricket program with a so-called expert handling queries from anchors, who has just refreshed on and beginning to understand Pathan is not the same one as Imran Khan. It was overwhelming cricket overload. And an overload of bewildering rubbish - aided by sponsors and advertisers competing for viewer's eyeballs; and letting people know that the Indian team traveling to Windies are world beaters and have a great chance of winning it, aided by sound-bytes from our decent captain and media-savvy coach. It doesn't matter that man-for-a-man, there are three or four teams ahead of us - Australia, South Africa and possibly NZ and Sri Lanka (in spite of their loss to India at home). If India does make it to the next round and beyond next round, it would be on the shoulders of a few. But if they do, I shudder to think what kind of trash we would be served. For that alone, I wish we make an quiet exit. A huge loss of revenue to the sponsors and the channels. However, I think it would go a long way in restoring some mental balance and certain lucidity - cricket is just a game that can be enjoyed for the cricketing skills on display and not just on the colors alone !

So heres to a quiet exit from the World Cup and a possible bright spot - And heres to getting back to our regularly scheduled programming of Liz Hurley's-Arun Nayar's wedding; now, I call that fascinating viewing !!!
___________________________________________________
ps: My own SF line up - RSA vs NZ & Aus Vs SL; Final RSA def. SL. ;)

2 comments:

~SuCh~ said...

"cricket is just a game that can be enjoyed for the cricketing skills on display and not just on the colors alone !"

Now, now, are we seeing some brighter hues after a bout of blue ??? :-p

EnGeetham aka "My Song!" said...

4sol: :) To recall a scary incident; 1996 WC, QF in Bangalore at the grounds - Ind Vs Pak. Friend and I, cheered an Amir Sohail cover drive and got booed and stared down by people all around us. Since then, i've been a safe-blue ! :)